This is what happens in Assembler XF if the () is the result of
SETC substitution.  In HLASM, this can be duplicated using
COMPAT(SYSLIST).  In both of those cases, the () will be taken
as a single item which looks like a register without a value,
rather than as a list with one null entry.

Dave Wade writes:
> Having a bit of a senior moment. I have some code that assembled fine with
> IFOX on VM/370R6 but fails on this close
>
> CLOSEMAC CLOSE (),MF=L
>
> with
>
> +         MNOTE 12,'***  IHB006  INVALID REGISTER NOTATION WITH MF=L FORM.'
>
> On Z390. I wonder if I am missing an option to ASM but the manual seems to
> be missing the ASM options..

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK