----- Original Message ----- From: "Schmitt, Michael" <michael.schm...@dxc.com> Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:43 AM

In John R. Ehrman's SHARE presentations on tips for modernizing
IBM z/Architecture assembler programs (such as
https://share.confex.com/share/120/webprogram/Handout/Session12522/modrnasm.pdf),
he says that important advice from experienced assembler programmers is to:

   _Don't_ use EQU for statement-label creation

Can anyone venture a guess as to the reason for this advice?

I've been coding MVS assembler for 30 years and this is the first I've heard of
this guideline.

Any decent text on the subject (dating from Struble's "Assembler Language
Programming
the IBM S/360" of the 1960s will point this out.

label EQU *
preceding an instruction that does not have a label may leave
you with a label having an odd-numbered address.

Even if the following statement is an instruction that does have
an address,
label EQU *
may still leave you with an odd-numbered address for 'label'.

One thing I'm wondering is if the suggestion is to avoid stand alone statement
labels entirely (such as LABEL EQU * or LABEL DS 0H) in favor of putting
the label on the next instruction? Or is there something about EQU * that makes
it a bad alternative to DS 0H?

See above.  EQU * is bad for those cases.

---