Gary,

>> Are we to conclude from that this discussion that this is a reliable way
>> to ensure that an AMODE 31 subroutine returns control to its caller
>> in the correct amode?

the code Tony had was to ensure that it can switch to whatever mode
a routine to be called from that code needs
without effecting the original caller of the code

>> From Binjamin's response, it appears that checking the opcode of the
>> speed of BSM, actually slowed down the routine.

no no - if BSM is needed (because original caller of the code is 24
and final target is 31) then Binjamin's code is fine (at entry!) ...

but it also is executed if everyone is 24 and there is no need for it.
--
Martin