From: "Tony Thigpen" <t...@vse2pdf.com>
To: "IBM Mainframe Assembler List" <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2020 3:02:21 PM
Subject: Re: SDUMPs

Seymour, others,

Formatted or unformatted dumps does not matter to me. I actually prefer
an unformatted dump as that is what I read all the time on z/VSe.

But, as I move deeper into z/OS, I do want to learn to use some of it's
tools, such as IPCS.

Let's back up a second and let me ask what may be a basic question to
z/OS gurus.

Right now, if I put the ABEND macro into the source, it creates a new
dump in IPCS. But, if I create a SOC1 (using DC X'0000' in the code), it
does not put a new dump into IPCS.

1) Should it have put a new dump in IPCS?
2) If so, is there some 'option' in the system that may be blocking the
creation of the SOC1 dump?

3) Is there a simple way to force the SOC1 dump to go to SYSOUT as an
unformatted dump?

FYI, I am on a test z/OS system that I can IPL or change, as needed
without messing anyone up.

Tony Thigpen