From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On
Behalf Of Jonathan Scott
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:12 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Metal C CATTR Assembly error

Ref:  Your note of Fri, 1 Jan 2021 07:31:30 -0500

Joe Reichman <reichman...@gmail.com> writes:
> I am getting the following error on a CATTR Assembly statement
>
> 0001B0A                00000000 00001B51   2833 OPENFI#C CSECT ,
> 000000
>
>                                             2834 M_WSA    CATTR
> RMODE(ANY),PART(openfile),NOTEXECUTABLE,ALIGN(2)          000000
>
> ** ASMA155S Previous use of symbol is not this section type

You probably need HLASM APAR PH05788, for which the MVS PTF is
UI60232 (from December 2018).

The original implementation of CATTR in HLASM did not work exactly as
documented.  When APAR PI76678 changed HLASM to work as documented, this
caused errors in some programs generated by Metal C, because the compiler
could incorrectly issue CATTR within a DSECT to define the Writable Static
Area (WSA), which is not supported by the Binder (although HLASM at the time
failed to detect this conflict).

HLASM was therefore changed again by APAR PH05788 to tolerate this incorrect
usage, in that if CATTR with a given name was first issued within a DSECT,
the definition would be associated with the most recently active CSECT.

The Metal C compiler was also changed for APAR PI84091 to avoid the
incorrect usage, although this was no longer necessary with the HLASM fix.

Of course, if you already have all the relevant maintenance applied, this
might be a new problem, in which case please report it as a possible defect
(initially against Metal C, who can of course pass it on to HLASM if the
generated HLASM code turns out to be correct).

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK