Hi there,

I hate the term base-less it means 'without foundation' !

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, I've been using base-free code with literals for years.

eg.
LARL R3,=C'ABCDE-'
MVC THERE(5),0(R3)

Yes, it's a 5-byte literal extended to 6 to keep the LARL happy

LARL has a range of +/- 2G which should keep most coders happy, so it doesn't matter where the LTORG is

Melvyn Maltz.