If your program can be called by a program that you don't control, and that
doesn't document that it provides something more, you have to assume
that you re only provided a 72-byte save area.

There is no code that a program can provide in the first word of a save area
that could describe the save area. That is because the first word is defined as
for the use of language products.

--
Tom Marchant