On Jan 26, 2022, at 09:56:18, Peter Relson wrote:

> Some more info from the REXX folks:

Thanks.

> The savearea passed to programs invoked via ADDRESS LINK, LINKMVS, or
> LINKPGM was extended to pass
> a 144-byte savearea to the caller by APAR OA44581 (whenever that became
> available).

Which mentions as a culprit BPXBATCH which used a 144-byte savearea,
resulting in a storage overlay.

Does //STEP EXEC PGM=... nowadays pass a 144-byte savearea whether the
PGM needs it or not?

>     ... Programs invoked as REXX functions or subroutines are still passed
> a 72-byte savearea (I don't know why they didn't similarly change that).

I'd guess that the documented mapping of a control block guarantees some
data at savearea+72.

--
gil