On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:02:07 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

>> What I did say is "A program that saves its caller's registers in
>> standard 72-byte format is expected to set offset 4 of the save
>> area that it obtains to the address of the previous save area,
>> regardless of the size of save area that it provides."
>
>Exactly, and that is incorrect because some programs that save
>the callers registers in standard 72-byte format  are expected to
>set offset 4 of the saves that thet obtain tp F5SA or F8SA, not to
>the address of the previous save area.

That is not using standard 72-byte format, but using F5SA or
F8SA format. In these formats, the contents  of the registers are
split between two save areas, one of which looks identical to a
standard save area.

>* The target alters a nonvolatile AR - F8SA

No. That is not what F8SA was designed for. From the Assembler
Services Guide:

<quote>
Note: The F8SA area is exactly like the F5SA area except for the
identification string saved into the second word and the fact that
the F8SA area provides space into which a program called by the
creator of the save area can save both ARs and 64-bit GPRs
whereas the F5SA area provides space only for the 64-bit GPRs.
</quote>

--
Tom Marchant