From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 2:27 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Jump vs. Branch

In theory the branch relative is easier on the pipeline. An old
base-displacement branch is dependent on the value of some register, which
in theory may be subject to the machinations of the fixed point arithmetic
unit. A relative jump is only dependent on the instruction counter and the
contents of the instruction itself.

Charles