On Apr 15, 2022, at 21:30:35, Robin Vowels wrote:

>> R0 doesn't count because no one else uses it.
>
> nonsense!

(That was sarcasm.)

> On Apr 15, 2022, at 21:28:55, Robin Vowels wrote:
>
> MVCL will do what you want.

Yes.

> and MVCL will even deal with zero lengths.

It must, in order to deal with interruptions during padding.

> The most common use of MVCL is to move some text to a destination
> area, and to pad that area with a given character (commonly blank,
> not zero), if required.
> To set an area to zeros is not something that's done frequently.
> I would say, almost never.

To preset storage after GETMAIN?  But it might suffice to set
counters to zero and leave buffers undefined.  The length
is probably a constant, but may exceed 256.

I suspect MVCL is highly optimized in microcode or silicon;
I could imagine special treatment of cache faults, etc.

--
gil