Ed might have prioritized brevity because he's not paid to do your coding
for you.  His example is idiomatic for an experienced developer, and if
you're not experienced, then you have a learning opportunity.

I have no patience with the fear that a "maintenance newbie" can't be
expected to learn anything.  If they can't, I suggest you'd be better off
with not doing maintenance until you find someone who can.

sas