From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Peter Morrison
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2023 2:39 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Problem using AREAD

People,

I have come across a problem with AREAD. I'm unable to find any doc on this,
and it looks like an HLASM bug to me.

The problem is that AREAD seems to be causing the assembler to skip (ignore)
code when a macro inside a top-level COPY statement uses AREAD to read
arbitrary source lines.  Specifically:

 * If a macro that uses AREAD is only used ONCE in the top-level COPY
member, the problem is not visible.

 * The first time that multiple invocations (in a single top-level COPY
member) occur, things work correctly.

 * After that first time, all statements after the first macro that uses
AREAD (and the lines that AREAD swallows) to the end of the top-level COPY
statement are ignored. The next statement processed by the assembler is the
statement AFTER that top-level COPY statement.

Just to make things interesting I have had a case where the assembler
randomly (?) chose several lines embedded in some following AREAD source and
treated those lines as assembler statements. Needless to say, those lines
caused assembler error messages BUT the reported line numbers were wrong.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour? Does anyone have any light to
shed on this?

I have a sample, but it's too large to post here. Interested parties can
contact me off-list for it.

Thanks

Peter  Morrison