From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Paul Gilmartin [00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2023 12:17 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Shower thought

On 6/13/23 09:42:56, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> In both cases they are treated numerically as a whole, For logical
> instructions the operands are treated as unsigned numbers. The distinvtion
> goes back to the vacuum tube ("valve" for you Brits) machine, well before
> S/360.

Citation needed.
<https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/285:_Wikipedian_Protester>

But it's jargon, exempt from requirement for explanation.

I would have chosen "Unsigned" but others might argue that
would refer to the magnitude, ignoring the sign bit.  Etc.

And there may have been trademark entanglements with opcode
mnemonics.

--
gil