Jon,

I've heard others make that remark before: HLASM is actually two languages.
I find the distinction rather arbitrary - both aspects of HLASM are
intimately interconnected.

As Mr. Metz correctly remarked, there is only a single Language
Reference Manual for HLASM.
I think that's for a very good reason. Try to split that manual into two
separate ones,
you'll find yourself facing boundary cases and many references between
the two manuals.

Kind regards,
Abe
===