> On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 02:29:07 AM PDT, Jonathan Scott
 > <jonathan_sc...@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Although it may initially seem confusing, it provides a safe way to
> ensure that the named flag is mapped to the correct field:

>           TF  flag

> +        TM  flag,L'flag

The problem is inconsistency and not confusion nor safe. TCBCSTEP is a valid
flag but if you Inadvertently code TF TCBCSTEP, it compiles successfully but
clearly does not meet the obvious intent. You're exchanging 1 problem for
another.

> I have seen many errors caused by code testing flags mask bits
> but this technique eliminates that class of errors.

This technique doesn't fully eliminate this class of errors. If you diligently
train / enforce all new employees on it's implementation and you never use flag
bytes outside of your control, then you might consider it consistent.

I too have seen many errors concerning flag bytes. I easily solved this problem
years ago which I'm surprised has not been included in the HLAsm toolkit. Using
OPSYN for DC, DS and EQU, the flag and field name are collected in an array. By
using that array, TF can be used consistently for all flag bytes.