On 9/26/23 07:26:18, Dave Clark wrote:
"IBM Mainframe Assembler List" wrote on
09/25/2023 05:55:23 PM:
Just put another WHEN right after it.

       SELECT
            WHEN   1
                  something
            WHEN  2
            WHEN  3
                  something
        ENDSEL ,

No need for a placeholder instruction.

         Thanks.  Yes, that would work but I don't like how it looks.
Because, to a COBOL programmer, it looks like an OR condition as it is in
COBOL.  I wanted the placeholder instruction so that even a COBOL
programmer won't mistake the intent.
Would Assembler accept "WHEN 3 AND NOT 2"?

Various programming languages have different semantics
for constructs that appear similar.  For example:
    CONTINUE in FORTRAN is quite different from
    continue in C.

It wold be futile to attempt to write a C program with
semantics of a FORTRAN program.  It's futile to write
an Assembler program which would work if it were COBOL.

Do you have a distaste for comments?  Comments are your
friend.  Add a comment explaining what you're doing.

--
gil