DOS/VS keeps a RLD (relocat dict)-items since a very long time. It was there when I touched DOS/VS the first time in 73.

In fact when I worked for a service bureau with 15 datacenters (from 1975), we had just one installation that had no relocatable loader (i.o.w. a more current version of DOS/VS)

All, but very few programs will automatically be subject for the relocatable loader. B and A-transient comes to mind (is that still so?).

What VSE still not does is to keep an extensive ESD (external symbol dict). Without that it is simply impossible to replace a single CSECT in an existing PHASE.

It is still possible to take a PHASE (zOS speak a "load module") and transport the TXT cards and the RLD-cards and that in z/OS.

Don't know if there is a way the other way around (starting from producing TXT and RLD cards in the required antediluvian format).

Martin