>From a performance and sometimes readability point of view, having constants
>(whether instructions or operands),  close in memory to the  instructions
>using them is desirable.  As Gil mentions, macroes are likely to do it.  There
>ia a data cache and an intruction cache, but there is nothing inherent to
>prevent a program from modifying the instruction stream or the instruction
>stream from branching into an area of the program that's in the data cache.
>(There may be key exceptions that create errors).  But any modification to the
>instruction cache requires the instruction cache line to be moved to the data
>cache, and any attempt to execute instructions in the data cache requires the
>cache line to be moved to the instruction cache.  I don't think this affects
>page fault handling.  Whether instructions are refreshable depends on external
>factors, including binder options and characteristics of the load library.  I
>don't know about USS.

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect
DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization
Phone:+1.613.523.5500 x216
Email: weinh...@dkl.com
Visit us online at www.DKL.com
E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.