It's just one of the rules of the language. You can only define something once. It does not matter that you did not reference it, you just can't do it.

HLASM provides methods for macros to avoid duplicating labels, if this is code in a macro. If it's code in you main program, then just don't do it.

Tony Thigpen

João Reginato wrote on 4/30/24 10:28 PM:
It´s very simple:

X    MVC A,B
X    MVC B,A

Where X is duplicated but never referenced

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Steve Thompson <ste...@wkyr.net>
Enviada em: terça-feira, 30 de abril de 2024 23:11
Para: jb.regin...@gmail.com; ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: ASMA043E Previously defined symbol

I suggest you show us a snippet of code so we can see how you are
re-defining a variable/symbol.

Steve Thompson

On 4/30/2024 5:55 PM, João Reginato wrote:
Hi

The message “ASMA043E Previously defined Symbol” is always issued when an
already defined field is redefined, even if it is not referenced,

making the compiler end with error (return code 8).

I see this situation as it was just a warning issue (with return code 4).

Is there a reason for this behavior?

TIA

João