Just my 2 cents but this makes sense.  A few years ago, my company
(actually lead developer at the time and I) decided that we would
"standardize" on supported versions of IBM operating systems.  z/SO 2.2 had
just gone 'end of life' and (per Peter's reference) required z10
hardware so that became our baseline.  We set the zarch parameter in the
HLASM configuration file and move on.  That actually helped yesterday when
I "accidentally" used an instruction (LFI) that isn't available until the
z16.  The assembler caught it, I changed my code and all is good for now.
The only time we've checked (in the software) what hardware was available
was back when 64 bit hardware was 'new'.  Since some customers may have had
64 bit and others not, we created separate load modules for each
environment and let a 'master' program decide which one to load.

At some point, we may decide to bump the architecture up in the HLASM
config, but I'll probably be retired by then.

*Mark Hammack*