Thanks, Martin.  The existing code that has worked for years and years
looked like this.

IF   R8,(K,ALR),R8
 MVI 0(R9),C'1'
ENDIF

That generated assembled code that looked like this.

787           ALR   R8,R8
788           BNK   ELSE0017
789+         BC    12,ELSE0017         branch on no carry

So, you're correct that it appears to be a macro -- but I can't find any
such macro on my system.  For fun, I also tried the positive condition and
it generated assembled code that looked like this.

787           ALR   R8,R8
788           BK    ELSE0017
789+         BC    3,ELSE0017         branch on carry

Can't find that macro, either.  Now what?   ;-)

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
int.ext: 91078