gil writes:
> That example In the Language Ref. should be extended to show
> the effect of SIGNED in contexts beyond SETC, such as:
>                            2 &A       SETA  -10
>                            3 UE       EQU   &A         Unsigned 10
>     0000000A                +UE       EQU   10         Unsigned 10
>                            4 &C       SETC  SIGNED(&A) Signed -10
>                            5 E        EQU   &C         Signed -10
>     FFFFFFF6                +E        EQU   -10        Signed -10
>                            6 SE       EQU   SIGNED(&A) "for SETA, SETB, and
> SETC"

I don't know what you mean by the last line, but the built-in
functions are only valid in conditional assembly expressions.
The SIGNED function takes an arithmetic expression as argument
and returns a character string.  What happens when a SETC symbol
is substituted into a character string or assembler statement
does not depend in any way on whether the value was obtained via
the SIGNED function.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK