Notice the behaviour starting some versions ago, but
didn't report it since, being a "work in progress" I thought
it was just a temporary glitch, but now, since even the
latest version (1.14) shows the same behaviour I thought
it was the case of reporting it

ASSP starts and runs just fine for quite a while, then, after
a while it starts "hanging", that is it doesn't answer to any
connection for some minutes and then wakes up and starts
back working... till the next "hiccup" and over and over

during the hangs the CPU isn't used almost at all, no message
is logged and it doesn't look like a clamd scan issue or a DNS
one (checked both), nor a network one, so it should definitely be
something inside the ASSP code

rolling back to 0.08 solves the issue and things start working
again as expected; for the moment I'm using 0.08 since the
"hiccups" are a real problem, users experience timeouts
and in general the SMTP flow becomes unreliable

I found the issue by monitoring the box, something I usually
do after each update, either using the "debugview" or the
"tail -f" to monitor the log, looking at the "live log" I noticed
that from time to time it stopped for some time and then
started back and, trying to telnet to the box during such
"stops" either the connection was immediately refused
or it just "hung" for quite a while and eventually timed out