On Dec 22, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Paul Whelan wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2009 at 8:37, GrayHat wrote:
>
>> Yes, but w/o signing up for an account you won't be able
>> to disable (sorry for the pun) the DNS wildcarding and
>> your repeated queries may be seen as "abuse" so your
>> DNS requests may start being dropped
>
> While it may not be so useful without registering,

Not so much that is it not useful, openDNS still has a very valid and
very useful purpose. Before google came forward with their Public DNS
announcement, I would suggest to all end user clients, (home users,
non servers) that they use openDNS.  Most ISP's are slow, and are page
hijacking anyway.

> you can still do
> dnsbl queries.  And for those who were having the DNS problems a
> year or two back, it proved better than their current solution.

I think I would rather have a slow query than an inaccurate one.  From
what I know, and have done considerable research into it, as I want to
begin to run a large scale DNSBL...

Everyone uses rbldnsd, caching is less than desirous because in almost
all cases, we are talking about mail delivery.  False positive and
false negative needs to be fixed and solved as soon as possible, and
those updated answers need to get out to the rest of the resolvers as
fast as possible.

I would be very surprised if near every Mail Server admin has at one
time been in a BL on accident, inherited a dirty range, had a angry
person submit you, or misconfigured joe jobbing or spam traps from
clueless users who have yet to learn that web scraping is not a good
thing.

When you can not get email to all of aol, or all of hotmail, your
users want it fixed as fast as possible.  OpenDNS operates on the near
opposite principle, which is to be as aggressive about caching
response data as possible.  Their cache is their asset, it is what
makes them faster, it is what is bullet point #1 on their sales sheets.

> That other DNS solutions exist and may be better for some folks is
> perfectly true, but not every answer is applicable for everyone who
> runs ASSP.

Very true as well.  The one truth about ASSP, and any MTA for that
matter, sending side, or receiving side, is that you want accurate
results for that point in time.  openDNS can create a situation where
stale results are more often the norm than the exception.

If you can not, for whatever reasons, deploy your own DNS, there are
plenty of other rr's out there, which do not alter DNS.