If you are using BIND (Named) you should have something like this:

view internal {
        match-clients { lan_hosts; }; # match hosts in acl "lan_hosts"
        recursion yes;  # allow local recursive queries
        notify no; # disable AA notifies

        // prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
        zone "." {
                type hint;
                file "/etc/db.cache";
                };
And the db.cache file stores the root servers list:

;       This file holds the information on root name servers needed to
;       initialize cache of Internet domain name servers
;       (e.g. reference this file in the "cache  .  <file>"
;       configuration file of BIND domain name servers).
;
;       This file is made available by InterNIC
;       under anonymous FTP as
;           file                /domain/named.root
;           on server           FTP.INTERNIC.NET
;       -OR-                    RS.INTERNIC.NET
;
;       last update:    Dec 12, 2008
;       related version of root zone:   2008121200
;
; formerly NS.INTERNIC.NET
;
.                        3600000  IN  NS    A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.      3600000      A     198.41.0.4
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.      3600000      AAAA  2001:503:BA3E::2:30
;
; FORMERLY NS1.ISI.EDU
;
.                        3600000      NS    B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.      3600000      A     192.228.79.201
;
; FORMERLY C.PSI.NET
... etc
...etc