I was having major problems with the rebuild process. Someone else
posted that they removed messages greater than 700K (I think) and older
than 7 days and that allowed a rebuild to complete.

I did the same and have finally been able to turn the nightly rebuilds
back on. I have a couple of local issues to investigate (one due to
virtualisation, the other waiting on feedback from my datacentre about
iSCSI issues) which all caused me major headaches with rebuildspamdb

All the best,
Colin