>A possible tweak may be writing an ASSP module to deal with SURBL

First I had the same nice idea. But this is very complicated because of
two things.

1. as a level 1 plugin (after SMTP handshake, after DATA) it gets no mail
data - as a level 2 plugin (complete mail) , the plugin would cause assp
to queue the complete mail, even it is not nessesary for checking URI's in
'maxBytes'

2. the OCR plugin forces an URIBL check for the extracted data - in case
this would force a call from a plugin to a plugin. The plugins and the
assp.pl plugin check code does not support recursion. This would break too
many things.

There is another issue I have to deal with. At this time URI's to check
must have an IP as hostpart or a hostname which ends with a TLD of a valid
level (1,2,3).
Yes - cracked DNS will currently bypass the URIBL check in assp (in case
the local DNS server is hacked - nothing will ever help).
But removing the TLD check will cause assp to collect and check all the
possible (looks like URI) parts in the header lines (most of them are
useless). Also several misspelled parts of the mail  text will be detected
as an URI - like 'This is a test.But this is another test' - here
'test.But' looks like a hostname (ignoring TLD), because the space after
the dot is missing.
OK - there is no link behind the possible host name. But it is common to
make such a nonsense hostname looking like a link - with the hint: "use
this link, if does not work copy and paste it in to your browser". Or
another example:
... this.is.a.cracked.dns ...
Now the spammer makes a valid link behind the URI , like 'maps.google.com'
, which will fail because the ISP-DNS is hacked - but it looks innocent
for everyone - now the hint 'use this ....' .
It can be possible, that assp reached the count limit of URI's , because
TLD is ignored, before this dangerous part.

My question is: Can we assume, that we will get correct answers for our
URIBL DNS-queries, if a local or ISP DNS-server is hacked? - IMHO, NO!

The only way to step in to such a trap is, if the DNS-servers of the
domain, where an URI points to, are hacked.
Is it worth the effort to deal with such rarely cases? Where the effort is
querying 500%-1000% of the current URI's nearly completely in vain - not
to forget the coding and testing.

Thomas