Our primary internet connection went down again (nothing to do with ASSP)
which gave me the opportunity to replace 16270 with 16271.  Nothing like
making lemonade out of lemons...

The same email now took only 269 seconds.  That's about 15x longer than
with TLS off, but WOW that's way better than it was before.
I also tried with the blank cipher list, no notable difference
And with the SSL buffers set to 0 (64 MB), again without a speed difference.

SO- you've made a real difference here!!   Is there more optimization to be
made?

The rub is that the exact same message sent through Outlook.com to us, took
exactly 30 seconds, just a 50% overhead when compared to the 19 seconds for
a non-TLS message of the same size, instead of a 1500% overhead for
encryption when receiving from google.

*Is there some magical debug switch that I could turn on to see what
encryption Outlook.com is using and compare that to what Google's
connection to us with?*  I think prohibiting whatever the slow cipher that
google's using (probably a really strong one) might make the final bit of
difference.

I'm breathing so much easier now!!  Thank you.