Hiya Doug.  Good to hear from you.  Thanks for the reply.

We're all Windows here, so no iptables = no Fail2Ban :(     And I don't see
a way of getting ASSP's ip lists >automatically< in the hardware firewalls
that we use.

The actor is attempting to sign in from at least a couple dozen IP's,
strangely using the same external email address as the username.  It's
>not< one of our domains.  Is there a way for ASSP to do an early deny and
add the IP to a block based only on the username provided at the smtp auth
login time?  bombRE and related, seem to go into effect only with the true
header/body.  SMTP auth isn't in the envelope.

Furthermore, I want to ban after even 1 failed try.  Setting MaxAUTHErrors
to 1 only works once the actor exceeds 1.  I don't want them to be able to
try a 2nd time.  Setting it to 0 disables it.  Setting to -1 blocks
immediately regardless of success - so that doesn't work, I need users to
be able to authenticate on the alternate ports.