Several related items here:

   1. Bug? Rebuild process still uploading griplist, even if disabled, due
   possibly to case error in code.

   2. ASSP not checking for valid griplist, if an invalid folder name is
   entered

   3. On windows, Rebuild process
   leaving \tmpDB\rebuildDB\BDB-error.txt handle open  (wider issue with
   DBD-error.txt files getting stuck open on Windows?)

   4. Griplist clarification request

1)  I've got noGriplistUpload and noGriplistDownload both checked in the
GUI.  But I noticed that ,at the end of my rebuild log, it's still doing
the upload

Uploading Griplist via Direct Connection

rebuildspamdb.pm has

return if $main::noGripListUpload;

before the upload happens, but I think there's a case mistake there.

I believe it should be Griplist, with a lower case L.

2) In trying to figure out my ASSP on Windows crashes due to too many open
files, I've started using Sysinternals Handle utility to look at open
handles.  Yesterday I saw 1300+ handles open
to d:\assp\tmpDB\Griplist\BDB-error.txt

I believe that had something to do with me having an invalid griplist
database name, "d/griplist" but the d folder didn't exist on my new server
config!!  My fault there for sure, not sure how d/ prefixed it, but it
appears ASSP didn't check to see that the folder existed.  Shame on me for
missing my config file, but it might be good for ASSP to warn or create the
folder if it doesn't exist.

I cleared out the griplist database file to test and restarted. I don't see
any more open griplist\dbd-error.txt handles, even though I'm getting many
many bad SMTP servers connecting with early TLS.  Good.  I'll probably put
the griplist database back (obviously with a valid filename!!)    See #3....

3) Windows (both 2012 and 2019) might not be closing Berkely error files
correctly in general.

When the new version started logging the new SSL errors, I >believe< that's
when it started trying to access the non-existent "d/" folder config error
in m assp.cfg.  Every time an early TLS line was caught, BerkeleyDB would
keep the error file open.  Strangely, the error file was 0kb.

Now that I've cleared out the griplist entry, I don't get those
/tmpdb/griplist/dbd-error.txt open handles.  However, after my rebuild over
night, I see and open handle to:

tmpDB\rebuildDB\BDB-error.txt

about 9+ hours after rebuild.

Is that normal?  Might Windows not be closing handles correctly in general?

4) While I'm at it, could some clarification be provided as to the function
of the griplist?  (and please correct me if anything I say here is
incorrect!!)  I've searched like crazy over the last couple of days, but
can't find the answers I'm looking for.

The griplist is an ip scoring database correct?  I know it was originally
called the grey-ip-list, 15+ years ago, but then greylisting became common
language for delaying, so the original grayiplist started being called the
"griplist" to avoid confusion.

Note: the gui still says:

GreyIPlist Database (griplist)
The file with the current Grey-IP-List database -- make this blank if you
don't use it.

If I'm understanding griplist correctly, I think the gui should be
reworded.  Maybe some explanation added too??

There's also the optional upload and download concept of the griplist.
This appears to send the local griplist to sourceforge, it gets processed
by whatever you've got running on the backend, and then I can (also
optionally) download another griplist which is based on all ASSP user
data.  If you don't upload, you can't download, and that's fair - you need
to contribute to benefit from the group.

The charity that I work for has a pretty poorly thought out privacy policy
that requires me to jump through all kinds of hoops when sharing >any<
information.  It's frustrating for sure. That means I cannot upload our
griplist without petitioning an internal committee.  I'm thinking I want to
do that, but need to fully understand the griplist first.

   - If we don't upload/download, the griplist is stlil maintained locally,
   just only with my data right?
   - If I get approval to share the ip data and download the griplist, that
   downloaded griplist is merged with my local griplist?
   - And in the end, how is a match on the griplist scored?  Let's say an
   IP is on the griplist as being a really bad IP.  What score does a message
   get?  Is that configurable?

As always, thank you
Ken