Suse 12.1 is already shipping an updated kernel rpm with the fix
applied  and they push the fix to SLES this month, maybe this
>>> week, too. Why does Fedora need so much time?

Well, I said we will wait for 3.4.5, not a month or longer :)
Anyway, 3.4.5 is out and update has been already pushed to the update
system, it should hit update repositories within 24 hours.

Michal, could you please post update instructions to ast-developers? I
think the administrators at AT&T might need them so David and Glenn
can continue working.

I'm afraid that there are no such instructions. For Fedora, it's easy. We have two Fedora versions alive right now (16 and 17). For Fedora 16, kernel update is in updates-testing repository (did not get enough feedback yet) and for 17 it's in updates repository already.

So, with "yum update kernel", you should get 3.4.5 kernel containing the fix, if it does not offer you such kernel, you have to use "yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel"

Anyway, this probably won't help David nor Glenn, because AFAIK they are using RHEL for testing. RHEL is different product and we do not update everything quickly there (a lot of QA, testing by partners,...), also in enterprise environment a known bug is (sometimes) better than unexpected change in behaviour.

I asked kernel developers about that patch and got following answer:

> 1. there needs to be filed proper support case for this
> 2. it changes old behaviour (visible to user space) (even if wrong) => can be read as regression > 3. it's "not" a bug, neither critical issue that stops people from using the systems > 4. we are trying to keep _absolute_ minimum of the kernel changes and avoid them by all means if we are able.

So this change will take some time and I can't even guarantee it'll get
in the kernel if there is no explicit support request for this

Michal