David, as clarification:
The poll(1) builtin is acting up for types. I think Roland's design
anticipates that it can not create new variables in a compound
variable which is embedded in a type. However ksh even acts up if some
one wants to *read* a compound variable member which does not exist.

For example:
ksh -c 'typeset -T y_t=( compound ex=(i=1)) ; y_t v ; print "${v.ex.nono}"'
./arch/linux.i386-64/bin/ksh: ex.nono: is not an element of v

In poll(1) I get the same warning, despite the use of
NV_NOFAIL|NV_NOADD flags in the nv_open() call. I think the nv_open()
call should just fail silently, right?

Olga

--
     { \/`o;====-    Olga Kryzhanovska   -====;o`\/ }