On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM, David Korn <d...@research.att.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Re: [ast-developers] Fwd: Per thread open(), stat(), rename()
> and so  on, and *at() API
> --------
>
>> What is the purpose of the change? Wouldn't it be easier to just to
>> make a sweep of the codebase using an awk script and replace the
>> functions with the new functions, instead of adding yet another
>> #define for standard filesystem calls? I think the current number of
>> cpp redirects for such calls has reached a number of nesting levels
>> which has become unsustainable.
>>
>> Lionel
>>

> This would not allow the code to work on systems that don't support the
> @ functions.
>
> Also, people who have added builtins would have to change their code
> as well.
>
> Our solution will make them functions not macros.

...and in five years you regret of having more symbols. IMO symbols
just for EINTR handling are wasted, compared to the long term trouble
maintaining them. I even _seriously_ doubt they are useful, otherwise
POSIX would have already added such stuff.

IMO you're trying to overengineer such problems. I've looked at other
utility and platform abstraction library, and none of them went so far
of adding extra function functions for EINTR. They all just use macros
or rely on SA_RESTART as sigaction() parameter.

Irek