On Apr 11, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 09:33 -0500, Brian West wrote:
Speex is a CPU whore. Even more so than g729.

How much of a whore are we talking about here? Clock cycles are cheap, so if I can get 7 channels of speex with a dual 900Mhz PIII (my current system) I'd say it's worth the savings in bandwidth.

You can get a lot more than that.

The default settings in codecs.conf for asterisk suck; You need to use complexity 2 or 3, not 4 (just wastes CPU), and lower bandwidth uses _less_ CPU in most cases. I usually use ABR=8000 mode, and find that's a nice choice. (uses more bits or less depending on complexity of speech).

Also, compiling the library with --enable-sse helps about 20%.

-SteveK