Date sent:              Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:41:43 -0400
From:                   Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
        <asterisk-biz@lists.digium.com>
Subject:                [Asterisk-biz] alternative to efax needed
Send reply to:          Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
        <asterisk-biz@lists.digium.com>
        <asterisk-biz.lists.digium.com>
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The only good thing I can possibly say about efax support is that it
is so kind of them to hire so many mentally challenged folks.

I have had a $12.95/month number with them for a few years. I get less
than 25 faxes per month and about half of them are junk faxes. I used
the send feature a few times but a few months ago it stopped working
with firefox/linux so I just went ahead and plugged my hp all-in-one
into a phone line for sending.

Anyway, I recently logged into the account and changed the credit card
on file. Because the outgoing prepay balance was below $2 they
attempted to charge the card $10. I kindly asked them if they could
just credit my usage balance 60 cents to make it $2.10 since I have no
intention of ever using them for sending again. The result of this is
a few emails explaining what I already know about the $2 threshhold
triggering a $10 charge. My messages to them have simply stated that
if they won't credit me 60 cents I will cancel the service entirely.

Anybody here offering good alternatives to efax/j2? Note that local
DID is no longer much of a feature since nobody in US48 should be
paying nore than 4c these days. Security is important. The simplest
implementation I can think of is to only send notification email and
let the subscriber pick up the file via https. I actually think that
approach is best for SOHO voip-ers. I have seen call quality degrade
while emails with large attachments are arriving.

There are several other things I can suggest if anybody here is
serious about getting into this market. I setup hylafax without
problems over 4 years ago. I had no problem getting it so email the
faxes as a pdf attachment. The only reason I did not use it for
production is that even with my centrex contract it did not make sense
to dedicate a line for a dozen faxes per month. I believe the market
for this type of service improves as fax usage declines.

Super Technologies Inc., Pensacola, Florida
http://www.supertec.com - Technologies from tomorrow, TODAY!
http://www.VirtualPhoneLine.com - Get A US, UK, EU Number, Forward it to
any  number in the world instantly.
http://www.PhoneOpia.com - SIP Based OPEN Phone Services.
http://www.MySuperPhone.com - The NEXT Generation of Telephone.
Http://www.ip-pabx.com - One World, One Number, One Pabx, All Hosted.
Http://www.superPBX.net - One World, One Number, One Pabx, Physical.
http://www.didX.org - We will sell all your DID stock for you.

begin:vcard
fn:Zac Amsler
n:Amsler;Zac
org:db3broadband, LLC;NOC
adr:;;131 E Pakr Ave;Libertyville;IL;60047;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Operations
tel;work:(847) 247-1500 X350
tel;fax:(847) 327-1438