trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 01:13 -0400, Paul wrote:
I really don't see how any government can afford to properly evaluate patent applications with the fees they collect. They charge the same fee for salad spinners and codecs.

And you get about the same results, there are some really silly patents
out there.  Some as simple as 2 C instructions.

Funny thing is how you see patent numbers and patent pending on a lot of simple one-piece plastic items. I look those new ice cube trays and laundry baskets over carefully and never find anything obviously innovative.

I'm sure that's the case with the salad spinner. He couldn't get a patent on centrifugal force unless he put a microcomputer and software into the product. :-)