On Nov 1, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Greg Boehnlein wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:

[Deleted]

Now, if you are the type of person who wants unlimited control over
asterisk, then you shouldn't use AMP/[EMAIL PROTECTED], because the GUI
necessarily
places limits on the level of customization you can make.

Yes. My point exactly. And the complexity it provides to make it simple to the end user makes it a nightmare to troubleshoot from the command line.

IMNSHO, it sounds like AMP/[EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't work for you or your business model and/or customer base, and more power to you. However, I think that many companies would like to have control over Moves, adds, etc. and AMP provides that and more. I make this observation as a small business owner who hated the fact that I had to call (and pay!) someone every time I wanted something changed on my old Vodavi system.

Basically, a small business that has a reasonably tech savvy person (not necessarily someone whose full-time job is tech, but someone who is not afraid of it) and wants some control over their system would do well with [EMAIL PROTECTED] However, a company that wants nothing to do with administering their system would be hiring a consultant like you, and consultants like you wouldn't like the limitations of AMP for the reasons you listed.

So, in the end, contrary to your original post, this boils down to "Different strokes for different folks" and "I don't like AMP because it doesn't mesh with the way I work" rather than (and I'm paraphrasing here....) "[EMAIL PROTECTED] is a piece of crap that isn't fit for small business use."

However, I would venture a guess that at least 95% of small businesses
are
looking for a system that is full-feaured, affordable, and reliable.
They are much less concerned with massive customizability. (Witness
the success of the AT&T/Lucent/Avaya Partner systems with small
businesses. Far less customizable or full featured than [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Right. Fixed, comfortable, non-maintenance intensive. They don't WANT to
maintain a phone system.

Again, some do, some don't. That's one of the great things about Asterisk: It has so many different options!

Tom