The VOIPJet note reminded me of an issue that has been bugging me for some time. How are phone calls routed and who is responsible for what?

I understand what happens when I plug www.google.com into my web browser, my computer connects to a name server, it contacts its name server until the IP address is determined. Then my router contacts its router until I'm connected to google.

When it comes to phone calls I'm baffled. When I pick up the handset at the house to call my brother's house across the street, they may or may not both be in the same switch, handled by the same carrier, delivered via the same physical connections.

Who is responsible for this routing and how does one go about protecting the route to your phone number.

The point of this exercise is performance and security.
1. Performance
When we get VOIP service from a supplier, how can we determine their ability to perform. On a simple level, we can ping their SIP server. Fast, consistent ping may mean good service. However we don't know if we just connecting to a sip server that connects to another sip server that may or may not have a good connection.

2. Security.
What if our supplier goes out of business (Remember Enron, Worldcom or even NorVergence)? How do we get our number? How long does it take? etc etc Most resellers go through XO or Level 3. Is anyone aware of their policies relative to number ports when one of their resellers goes broke or refuses to return your number to you?
begin:vcard
fn:John Schmerold
n:Schmerold;John
org:Katy Computer & Wireless
adr;dom:;;347 Clarkson Rd;Ellisville;MO;63011
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:314-316-9000
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.katy.com