Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
QUESTION

We are not considering sending these calls over the Public Internet.

If we use a Digium TDM400P x 2, 1 x TDM2400B or Sangoma A200d with 4 x
FXO
and 4 x FXS would any of these bridge the outbound call such that the
call
quality will not affect the performance and the Credit Card machine
transaction function?

While several people have reported success w/ using low speed faxing and
data connections over VoIP, personally I wouldn't recommend it, especially
when it is a key revenue generating application that is being used over it.
Specifically, consider how it might feel to the ultimate end-user (the
customer at the cash register) sitting there waiting 5 minutes for a credit
authorization to go through while the error correction algorithms on the
modems resend the packets every couple of seconds. This just doesn't sound
like a smart idea to me.
Agreed.
Whatever you do, keep in mind that you never get a second chance to make a
first impression with your customer, so don't cheap out in any area. Do
proper design, scope and testing before you deploy, know your products and
charge a premium for that knowledge. With that mindset, you'll have great
success w/ Asterisk.

Perhaps this is a case where you should suggest widening the scope. Forgive me for jumping in with little specific knowledge about solutions, but it seems like a case of the old saw about crisis = opportunity. Specifically, I suggest exploring alternatives to credit card transaction processing that don't require dial-up lines. And keep one old dial-up charge machine in a corner with a POTS line for backup.

To put it another way, why install a sub-optimal (read: kludge) process just to use our favorite hammer? Give them a comprehensive package that works outside the Asterisk box.