Yes but not only, to execute voice application as requested I think it is the better option. With this solution you keep using an Asterisk, so if you want to use some Asterisk Applications/Functions, or use a standard Dialplan for the call routing : it is possible, with the same server.

The VXI allows you to open a VoiceXML session from your Dialplan, by this way you can create a voice script with HTTP/XML for the users interactions.

Regards,

Borja