Brian Wilkins wrote:
I grew up thinking that no question is stupid or dumb. If someone has to respond to the message with, "Read the wiki, here's the link" then so be it. Everyone encourages users to search the lists archives dilligently, but sometimes after an hour of searching it proves futile because you either didn't type in the right keyword. That's where the list comes in. Moderating the list too much will scare people away. I believe it is doing well in self-moderation and that no one's time should be wasted as a message monkey scanning messages all the time. At best, we could automate it to an extent.

*snipped

no question is stupid or dumb. the problem is that when people are lazy (or haven't learned how to search yet), they repeat the same question... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (bit annoying isn't it).

so some people, granted with lessened tact, attempt to let some know they must first learn the basics. (how to help *yourself*)

normally i wouldn't respond to something like this, but it is friday and i just plain don't give a .... what half of you think.