----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Candler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Olivier Krief" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <asterisk-dev@lists.digium.com>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Routing data modem calls

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:49:14PM +0200, Olivier Krief wrote:
In many cases, I noticed (though I didn't experienced) data modems could
simply be replaced by serial-to-ethernet converters plus dialup routers.
What do you think of that ?

That won't work for me:

(1) EPOS terminals may have modems built-in. It would require modifications
to the terminals to get at the RS232 signals.
I totally agree with you : if you have a built-in modem and no way to use another communication port (which obviously could be the case with some terminals), you have find a way to transport modem signals.

(2) The other end (i.e. the bank or whatever) would also need to install
serial-to-ethernet convertors, in addition to their existing modem bank.
Then I would need to install a secure IP link into the bank or whatever,
whereas at the moment all these calls just come in over the PSTN.

I was thinking of this case :

Instead of :
Terminal --- Data Modem ---- PBX ---- PSTN -----Modem Bank ---- Whatever

Use this :
Terminal --- Serial-to-Ethernet ---- LAN ---- Dialup router ---- PSTN ---- Modem Bank ---- Whatever

In the latter situation, you can concentrate several terminals spread on different locations with a single router (and then cut several TDM lines to PSTN). And when the other side (i.e. the bank or whatever) moves to IP, changing the router is enough.

I met this case with legacy Payment Terminals which have a built-in serial port and a FXO port while new ones (and high end) now have a built-in Ethernet port.

Regards,

Brian.