On 9 Jun 2007, at 23:59, Caio Begotti wrote:

On 09/06/2007, at 16:57, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
Wouldn't adding these commands defeat the intent of the http server in Asterisk? The intent, as I understand it, is to be lightweight, to shift all of the complexity of the configuration into the browser, so the Asterisk process isn't spending time doing string processing for the manager interface
(and thus properly spends its time on call processing).

I understand that adding new manager commands with *almost* the same behavior is not good at all, but considering that web applications are not that smart and fast when doing big parsings maybe it would help Pari in his task.

I compare that with a very huge file and a magic "sed" command that does the trick but is awful and slow. However, it still seems to be a design issue: adding new manager events once in a week seems to be wrong, I agree.

If the problem is performance here, as Pari seems to state so, then perhaps it's really necessary to put it inside the manager code to make it fast and specialized instead asking Asterisk for the whole extensions.conf with hundreads of contexts and big contents (yeah, ok) then parsing it all. Anyway, as you said, it isn't necessarly that intensive for a C app :-)

Wouldn't it be better to split the file up into smaller files each of which can be up/down loaded with the existing mechanism ? All Pari then needs to do is to have a extensions.conf that
'includes' all the little files?

Tim.