On 19 Mar 2014, at 11:34, Sean Bright <sean.bri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/2014 6:30 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> The major one being that ICE was create so that we don't have to mess around
>> like this. The external IP is just a server-reflexive address. You may want
>> to make a decision on what you prefer in the C-line depending on the old
>> logic - what's the most likely address we're going to end up with?
>
> With externaddr/externhost in chan_sip you are effectively hiding the fact
> that Asterisk is behind a NAT device.  Creating the ICE candidate list using
> the local interfaces leaks information that you might not want getting
> leaked.  The goal of this patch was to make Asterisk appear to be sitting on
> the public internet.  I've been running it successfully for a few months, but
> it's not ready for public consumption in it's current state.

That's a point. I've always been complaining to soft phone guys that the add a
lot of useless ICE candidates from various strange interfaces on my OS/X
created by Pararells, VMware and strange bridges I play with. I should be able
to choose what to expose, as a long list affects call set up time.

What you are going to miss is the ability to set up media in the best possible
way with a local phone that still use STUN and use a server reflexive address
in SIP.

/O