Matthew Jordan wrote:

<snip>

I think this gets 90% of the way towards what people (such as X-Rob,
who filed ASTERISK-24341) were looking for.

I don't think this quite addresses the use case of "I want to create
an outbound INVITE request to all contacts on an AoR that do not
currently have an active channel/media session associated with them" -
since we have no way to query through the CHANNEL function what
previous dial attempts resulted in.

It feels like there should be a mechanism that we could provide that
would have this information:
  * We know what contacts we are going to send outbound INVITE requests to
  * We know when those INVITE requests succeed and/or fail
  * And we know when the overall dialog established by those INVITE
requests are done

What technical hurdles do you see with providing this?

Two words: Inbound sessions.

Provided you live in a world where only outgoing sessions exist then you can accurately reflect the state of it since you are dialing the contact. Since you may or may not be able to accurately tie an incoming session to a contact it may or may not be true.

The only way to reliably know whether a specific *device* is in use or not is to have separate endpoints.

--
Joshua Colp