> On 15 Jul 2016, at 16:51, Matthew Jordan <mjor...@digium.com> wrote:
>
> The modules you are referring to were removed quite awhile ago due to not
> having an active maintainer contributing to the project [1]. Since no one
> active in the project used the modules, or could verify their functionality,
> and those who were using them had forked Asterisk completely, we opted to
> remove them rather than ship broken or vulnerable code.
>
> I do not think that anyone in Digium is interested in maintaining these
> modules, nor is anyone here interested in doing the port of the old 1.4
> modules to the existing code base. I think all of us would be happy to answer
> questions, but someone else in the greater Asterisk community would have to
> do the work and commit to being the maintainer of those modules.
>
> Asterisk is an open source project. As an open source project, anyone -
> absolutely *anyone* - can step up, modify the existing
> app_rpt/chan_usbradio/core of Asterisk, and submit the patches back to the
> project. We have a lot of resources to help with that:

+1
We did try to communicate with the contacts we had back then but failed to get
any response, so we gave up. It wasn’t Digium as a company, it was us all
working with the project. We
did not understand the code and could not maintain it.

I would be very happy to see the repeater code coming back to the tree and
staying up to date in the tree , but that will, as Matt points out, require
active maintainers.

Regards,
/Olle