You may be correct about the Via: header, but you're incorrect in the concept as to how it relates to Asterisk, notably in your reversal of what side of the transaction is putting data in the Via: header to make SIP work correctly.

This is cluttering up the list. Talk to me off line if you want a better understanding of how NAT and SIP work with Cisco devices.

Again, for those of you who might be trying to figure out what the result of this conversation is: SIP clients behind NAT works fine in both directions (incoming and outgoing calls), Asterisk makes it work, it's not using STUN. Cisco devices work especially well.

JT