Hi Kelly,

thanks a lot for your reply.

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 09:40 PM, Kelly McDonald wrote:

I'm a newbie myself, but I have at least got * working with a sip
provider,

encouraging ;-)

although the quality was not to my liking, I was hooking up
with iconnecthere.

Sorry to hear that. I have setup a BudgeTone-100 to connect directly with Nikotel (without Asterisk involved) and I am truly amazed at the quality. For US and European destinations it is just like ISDN. For other destinations it is still significantly better than most low cost long-distance services.

I have been trying software based VoIP clients every once in a while for the last five years and always found that the technology was not yet ready for primetime, not even adequate for calling friends and family.

Even now, I find that Nikotel's softphone is a disgrace - I have nothing positive to say about it - entirely unacceptable. But what a difference when using a hardphone. I hope the lack of quality you are experiencing isn't because of Asterisk. Perhaps you want to try a different provider. Nikotel don't charge a monthly fee, it's essentially prepaid and the minimum is $15. My roundtrip time to the Nikotel server averages about 170ms and I am on DSL. A friend of mine uses Vonage over the same distance with similar roundtrip times (but different DSL provider) and he is very pleased, too.

Here's what I had

in sip.conf:

[iconnecthere]
type=friend
insecure=yes
port=5060
username=xyz
secret=abc
host=natrelay.deltathree.com
dtmfmode=inband
callerid=15408675512
nat=yes

in extensions.conf:

exten => 8500,1,Dial(SIP/[EMAIL PROTECTED])

thanks, this looks very helpful, I am going to try this after breakfast (it's 5am over here and I just got up).

This was just a test so I could dial 8500 and it would call my home
phone.

Probably have stuff wrong, but it seemed to work.

For the rest, extensions.conf has enough stuff in it that you can go and
make up your own stuff.

Indeed, I will.

thanks again
regards