On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 01:39 PM, Matthew Hardeman wrote:

If you're on a RedHat system, mpg321 is installed by default, and is
symlinked to as mpg123...

So, it can easily look like you have mpg123, but you really have mpg321...

Interesting thought, but according to the man pages I really do have mpg123. Also the package manager shows me that mpg123 is installed and mpg321 is installable. BTW, I am running Mandrake 9.1 not RH. Besides it's now working without installing anything since when I had the problem that it didn't work.

Anyway, I found that neither a reload nor a shutdown and restart of Asterisk will actually cause Asterisk to recognise any changes in the directories where the mp3 files are.

I have added in more and more mp3s now but Asterisk continued to loop through the initial three I put in there before I noticed that MOH is actually working. It seems you have to change the class in musiconhold.conf to another class with a different path, do a reload and then change it back, do another reload in order for Asterisk to take notice of additional files.

This behaviour offers - though not a full explanation - but a hint as to why my MOH didn't work initially. There may have been something going on - such as some cache timing out - that made it eventually kick in.

rgds
bk